Monday, November 26, 2007

8 Diagrams

Might as well stick with these new releases that are coming out during the next month. As I'm sure you all know, the new Wu-Tang Clan album, 8 Diagrams, leaked this week. Now as bad as I didn't want to download the album and wanted to wait until I bought it to hear it, I found that to be impossible. There is no way I would have been able to wait three weeks for the album to be released in stores, so I basically have listened to the album for three days straight. Personally, I am very impressed with how the album came out. With all the complaining from Ghost and Rae, I got a little worried. However, I knew RZA would come through with some amazing material. Now unlike some people, I wasn't expecting a early-mid 90's Wu-Tang album. With the passing of Ason Unique, it would have been impossible for the group to create something 36 Chambers-esque. Also, Ghostface hardly participated in the making of this album. He only appears on four tracks and one of them he is only heard on the chorus. However, this only had a minor effect on the outcome of the album. If anything, I feel that the absence on P. Tone resulted in numerous unsung members shining. U-God and Masta Killa came both thrived on the album with multiple ferocious verses. U-God completely shreds "Get Out the Way 'Pa," "Wolves," and "Tar Pit." Raekwon and Method Man also put in a noticeable amount of work for the album. Each of them appear on more than half of the total tracks and neither of them slip for even a second. While Rae is back on his Gambino style, which has me hype as ever for OB4CLII, Mef maintains the swagger he had from the Tical years. GZA also sounds as hungry as ever and drops one of my favorite verses on the album on "Stick Me for My Riches." RZA's solo track, "Sunlight," is another memorable moment on the album. I was also very impressed with his production on the album from start to finish. Deck was the only member other than Ghost that didn't impress me too much. Cappadonna and Streetlife each drops a few worthy verses also as the only two guest rappers.

The album does feature more singing than what would be expected from a Wu-Tang album. The songs "My Heart Gently Weeps," "Gun Will Go," "Stick Me For My Riches," and "Starter" all contain singing during the chorus. I am only bothered by the singing on "Starter," which to me basically ruins the song.

Although this is likely the final Clan album, I do have high hopes for RZA production on future solo projects. GZA is scheduled to release a new album early next year, which with RZA on the boards could result in another Wu classic. Also, OB4CLII is due out next summer, and Rae really showed that he is capable of making another classic. Meth will likely return with another solo next year as well. What I am really hoping for is a U-God solo with a majority of the production done by RZA. U-God has always appeared to be the most underappreciated member of the group in my opinion. While I have always considered Golden Arms Redemption to be a near classic, he seems like he could be very capable of creating a classic now.

Go buy the album when it comes out on December 11th, SUPPORT REAL HIP-HOP!!!!!

No comments: